Monday, September 1, 2008

And We're Off!

So in my desperation for some way to express ourselves to the world (okay, just me - TaTa can't type), I realized there was no better way than to start a blog! Why limit my hamster-self to a maximum of 1,000 characters in some facebook post when I can go on and on about all the exciting things TaTa and I share daily.

Normally, my relationships have been strained. After all, I'm nocturnal. That means for the most part my friendships are limited to bats and owls - both of whom would rather have me for dinner than invite me to dinner. Then one day, my owners plopped a water filled glass bowl on the dresser next to me, and my life has never been the same. He's awesome - I mean the dude swims like all the time. Even when I've burrowed down for like four hours, and get up to drain the main hamster vein at around 3AM... there he is swimming. Seriously, the guy is almost hypnotic. An Olympian or something.

On the down side, trying to communicate with my only friend has been difficult so far, and that's been a pretty big downer. At first, I thought it was me. I've always been a little self conscious that way (ever since I was old enough to notice that my brothers and sisters were picked for maze running before me). But then when I saw that TaTa got some new roommates and it was only a matter of a few days before they were, um, eliminated, I knew it must have been because he'd rather chill with me than a couple of Betas.

Unfortunately, I've only just gotten to know the guy for a few weeks, and word on the street is that I'm headed off to some nursery school for the duration of the fall. Sure, I'll see him again at the holidays, but that makes for a long, mean few months in between. There are only so many times I can run through the same tunnel without going all Oedipus and scratching my eyes out. That's on top of the chronic fear that some four year old will think I'm a fun plush toy. If only there were some way to bust outta this joint and take my buddy with me. That's tough considering he breathes underwater and all. Humans have it easy.

No comments: